Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Exercise

Some people may read the topic of today's blog and groan, it's not really a subject many people get excited about. However, I have something totally awesome to report (drum roll) I jogged 10K this morning! YES, I, Misty F Wilson, jogged 10K! If you want to get technical, I jogged 6.3 miles and 10K is 6.2137 miles! Honestly, I'm still in shock, I can hardly believe it. I started this journey into "fitness" close to a year ago. I joined the YMCA last Spring and found out that I really enjoy Yoga. I also did some cardio on the Elliptical machine. In September, we had to let our YMCA membership go because Christmas was coming up and expenses are always tight. We started walking as a family at Coles Crossing. Sometimes, Paul and Heather would jog while I walked with the boys in the double stroller.

Coles Crossing is a neat place to exercise because it has many different trail options. You can make it as short as a little over a mile or as long as 4 3/4 miles, with many options in between. The path we were taking last September was about 2 1/2 miles. Paul and Heather would generally start off jogging but go the opposite direction and eventually catch up with me. Sometimes, they would take the kids back to the playground so I could go off by myself and walk in peace. One of those days, I decided to try and jog. I only made it about 1/4 of a mile -- but still -- I did it! I was amazed because in the past when I tried to jog my lungs felt like they would burst. Paul and Heather did pick on my a bit, as jogging is not something they had seen me do before. In fact, there were many, many days I had said "I hate running, I don't know how you can do that."

I jogged off and on through the end of November and not surprisingly, let exercise go in favor of buying & wrapping gifts, decorating, making Christmas goodies, visiting relatives, etc in December. In January, I started up again and it was hard! My first jog was barely a mile in January.

Saturday, April 16th was the first time I did 5K (3.1069 miles, I jog 3.15 miles and call that 5K). My next few jogs were horrible, I was really discouraged and afraid I would never get it again. I struggled just to get to 2 miles and it was rough! I decided to just keep at it and figured that some exercise was better than no exercise. Then, Thursday, April 28th I did it again!!!! It hasn't even been a full week since then and I went out to jog today and was hoping to get to 5K but wasn't sure it would happen given that last time I did 5K, my abilities were limited for a while. A few things were different this morning, one is that the weather was amazing!! It was 55 degrees this morning! Second, I bought some ear buds for my ipod and downloaded a lot of music I enjoy listening to. I turned the music up pretty loud and discovered that it drowned out me listening to myself breathe, listening to myself think, etc. A good portion of the time, I wasn't even aware that I was jogging. I was totally lost in the music. When I got to 5K and realized I wasn't even tired, I decided to go for 10K! I actually did really well until the 5th mile (6.3 miles is 10K). Pretty much everything past that 5th mile was a struggle but I was so close, I really wanted to be able to say that I jogged 10K. I just made myself focus on the music and try to ignore my body. When I got back to the car, I had to sit there for a while because my legs felt like jello and my head was swimming a little. I had a bottle in the water in the car so I drank the bottle of water and recovered a bit before driving home.

On the drive home, I was thinking that I get frustrated with how my body looks. Gravity, age and too many calories have really taken a toll, but all that aside, my body is strong! I did something today that I didn't ever think would be possible for me. I haven't lost any weight, but I do feel better. I decided several months ago that I was going to stop obsessing over the number on the scale and just focus on being the healthiest me I can be. As long as the people I care about love me and accept me, what difference does the number on the scale make? I want to be healthy so that I can enjoy life to the fullest of my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment